In the acting world, February is the climax of the award season – but let’s forget about the Golden Globes and the Oscars, because in the blogging world it’s the turn of the Very Inspiring Blogger Award! OK, so the Very Inspiring Blogger Award may not be quite as glamorous as the Oscars – I’m writing this post and accepting the award whilst wearing comfy Superdry jogging bottoms rather than a Valentino dress – but I’m chuffed to bits all the same.
The very lovely and talented Raewyn Hewitt was kind enough to nominate my blog for the award last Sunday. Raewyn writes fantasy, is working on her first novel and has a wonderful and inspiring blog, Dreaming of Other Realms, where you can follow her journey.
As with all awards there must be an acceptance speech, but unlike the Oscars I won’t ‘do a Gwyneth’ and get all emotional on you, instead, as stipulated by the Very Inspiring Blogger Award rules, I’ll tell you seven things about myself.
- During one of my first visits to my husband Nik’s family in Greece, I asked Nik’s younger brother what the word for lovely was. Instead of complimenting my mother-in-law-to-be on the lovely salad she’d made, I ended up referring to it as a ‘stupid salad’. Younger brothers, eh?
- When I was a kid I took a bite out of all the nectarines in the fruit bowl and didn’t own up when mum dragged me and my younger brother into the dining room, showed us the bowl and demanded who had ruined the fruit. We were made to sit there for so long that in the end my brother owned up. Older sisters really aren’t much better…
- I’m currently reading Zeitoun by Dave Eggers, a true story about one man’s experience in New Orleans when Hurricane Katrina struck. It’s one of the books on the reading list for the lifewriting course I’m teaching.
- I was born in 1977 – the year of Star Wars.
- During our wedding reception in Greece the Greek dancing started before we’d even sat down to eat dinner and I was made to attempt the traditional ‘Bride’s Dance’. (I had no idea what I was doing.)
- If I had the choice of either traveling back in time or into the future, I’d opt for going back in time, specifically to the Restoration period where I’d hang out with King Charles II, avoid catching the plague and then watch London go up in smoke in 1666.
- The most romantic meal I’ve ever had was on Makunudu Island in the Maldives in 2007 when Nik proposed after a seafood dinner on a deserted beach.
Now on with my nominations for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award:
Elaine’s Stories – follow Elaine Jeremiah on her journey to publication.
Off the Shelf Book Promotions – great advice and inspiration for writers from the ‘blog of tips’.
The Write Spark – motivational posts about writing.
Sooz’s Journal – successful indie published author, Susan Buchanan, shares book reviews and interviews.
My Name is Not Bob – fantastic and inspirational posts about writing.
What blogs inspire you?
* * * * * * *
The rules of the Very Inspiring Blogger Award:
- Display the award logo on your blog
- Link back to the person who nominated you
- State 7 things about yourself
- Nominate 15 other bloggers for this award and link to them