Peugeot 3008This past week has flown by and despite being busy working, sorting out cars (the new car is lovely by the way – see the photo!), insurance and lots of other bits and pieces I have managed to write some more of Time Shifters book two. I think I need to come up with a more imaginative title than Time Shifters book two. I’ve been toying with the idea of book one simply being called Time Shifters, book two Time Shifters – A Long Way From Home, and book three tentatively entitled Time Shifters – The Last Stand. That at least will do for the time being but I’d love to know your thoughts.

In last week’s WIPpet Maisie had just texted Danny to inform him that Lizzie had gone missing and was splashed all over the news. In this week’s extract Maisie has arrived at Danny’s house where she finds him in his bedroom reading about what’s happened to Lizzie on his computer. Here are a convenient two paragraphs from Time Shifters – A Long Way From Home for the 2nd October.

“Hey,” Danny said, without turning round. “I’m surprised no-one actually saw her time shift. One second she was in this villa looking at mosaics with her parents and sister, next thing she’s gone. The police think she’s been kidnapped by someone.”

I sat down on the bed and Danny swung around to face me. “Lizzie is stupid enough to have wandered about that place daydreaming about Roman times and got time shifted to actual Roman times,” he said.

That’s your lot for today. WIPpet Wednesday is hosted by the talented K L Schwengel over at My Random Muse. Anyone can join in so if you’ve got a work in progress that you’re happy to share then post an extract that relates in some way to the date and add it to the linky here. Have a good week everyone!

Stupid Lizzie – WIPpet Wednesday

24 thoughts on “Stupid Lizzie – WIPpet Wednesday

• 2nd October 2013 at 4:17 pm

Ooh, time shifting to Roman times – fabulous! I’ll look forward to reading that one! (Have you come across Alison Morton’s alternative history novel, Inceptio, by the way, which assumes the Roman Empire didn’t actually fall?) Great idea to be shifting into time-zones that are always on the school curriculum. When I was little, after visiting our local Roman villa, I wrote a story called “The Magic Mosaic Floor” where the heroine (me by another name!) walked straight into Ancient Rome. Any child whose visited a Roman villa or museum ought to love it – and it could be a useful retail outlet for you, Kate!

• 3rd October 2013 at 11:31 am

I absolutely had to get Roman times in! I’ve heard of Alison Morton’s Inceptio and it’s definitely on my to read list. Just read on your blog that she’s going to be launching a second book in the series too. :-) I remember being fascinated by the kitchens of a National Trust property when I was a kid and promptly writing a story about it when I got home. In fact there may well have been time travel involved in that one too!

• 2nd October 2013 at 5:29 pm

I’m laughing…well I’m trying not to because I’m sitting in class. I love the “stupid enough” part. It’s great!! As for the titles…I like them a lot. I also love the name Maisie. I don’t think I’ve mentioned it yet, but I do adore that name.

• 3rd October 2013 at 11:40 am

I love the name Maisie too! That’s great that the titles get a thumbs up from you. :-)

• 2nd October 2013 at 7:56 pm

Aw, too short. It’s like a mean trick. 😉 Well, glad for any excerpt we get. So “wandered” through me because of the phrasing my brain wanted it to be “wondered.” Could just be me, but wanted to point it out as a possible trouble spot. Again, may just be me.

• 3rd October 2013 at 11:42 am

Too short because there’s really not much more written at the moment, although I’m working on that! I see what you mean about ‘wandered’, it could quite easily be read as ‘wondered’. Noted, thank you!

• 2nd October 2013 at 8:04 pm

I’ve just finished book 1 so I can now read the extracts from book 2 yay! And it’s looking like they get to go to Roman times. Woo hoo! I’m so jealous, I’d love to be able to time travel but only in safety. No being chased by convicts for me!!

• 3rd October 2013 at 11:44 am

I agree the ability to time travel would be incredible but in safety ideally! I can’t wait to research and write about Roman times.

• 2nd October 2013 at 11:16 pm

Hmm… I might just have to put Danny in time-out. He just called daydreaming stupid. Oh well. I guess I’ll just pretend I didn’t hear. I imagine he’s got a little time-shifting coming his way, too. :-)

• 3rd October 2013 at 11:46 am

Not so much that daydreaming is stupid but that Lizzie with her time shifting is stupid. I’d be stupid quite a lot of the time otherwise! Oh yes, plenty more time shifting coming up for Danny and Maisie.

• 3rd October 2013 at 8:35 pm

:-) I figured. I was just teasing. I probably should have used an extra emoticon or something. I don’t know how it;s possible to be a writer without daydreaming. :-)

• 4th October 2013 at 2:35 pm

Daydreaming is most definitely an essential part of being a writer. 😉

• 3rd October 2013 at 11:46 am

Thank you – I’m pretty pleased with it! :-)

• 3rd October 2013 at 1:45 am

Toga! Toga! To — um . . . sorry about that. When in Rome, you know. *cough* Poor Lizzie.

• 3rd October 2013 at 11:47 am

When in Rome indeed! :-)

• 3rd October 2013 at 3:42 am

Oooh, this is an excellent note to self. In the future, if I ever possess the ability to time shift, I must be very wary of my daydreaming tendencies, lest I pull myself into those very worlds, which would most likely be the stories I am creating. Ohhh, can they time shift to places that aren’t real??? That would be very, very interesting.

• 3rd October 2013 at 11:48 am

That would be incredibly interesting and exciting to be able to time shift to the places we created. Now there’s an idea…

• 4th October 2013 at 2:36 pm

Thank you! It is indeed very nice. :-)

• 4th October 2013 at 10:06 am

I finished book 1 yesterday, and I am so psyched for Roman times now! 😀 (Will email you my thoughts over the weekend).

• 4th October 2013 at 2:38 pm

Excellent – can’t wait to find out your thoughts on book one. :-) Hope you got my comments on AMCF ok.