Words from page 29I managed to find the extract I’ve chosen for today in less than a minute – result! Recently it’s taken ages to find a suitable snippet that doesn’t give too much of the story away, and then of course there’s the time spent working out WIPpet maths, which always leaves me scratching my head… Today’s WIPpet maths is lovely and simple. One paragraph – to celebrate it being the last Wednesday of the first month of the year – from page 29 for the 29th January.

I briefly introduced a new character, Lucia, in a previous WIPpet and in this scene she’s with Maisie and Danny in ancient Rome. Maisie has just questioned why Lucia isn’t shocked by her and Danny turning up at her door (to explain anymore or who Lucia is will give way too much away I’m afraid). Here’s her answer.

Lucia laughed, a long throaty chuckle. “There’s very little that surprises me anymore. I’ve known you two and Lizzie since you were in your late teens and of course I recognise you even though you’re children. I always knew this was a possibility to meet you when you were much younger. So no, I’m not surprised, but I am concerned why you’re here and why Lizzie isn’t with you.”

That’s it for today. To join in simply post an extract of your current WIP that has some kind of connection to the date and add the link here. Thanks as always to K L Schwengel over on My Random Muse for hosting.

Get Your Head Around This – WIPpet Wednesday

22 thoughts on “Get Your Head Around This – WIPpet Wednesday

• 29th January 2014 at 9:19 am

😀 Obligatory Doctor Who quote in 3…2…

“People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it’s more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey… stuff.”

Now that I have that off my chest… I am also concerned why Lizzie isn’t with them. She does have a habit of getting separated, doesn’t she?!

• 29th January 2014 at 11:42 am

Ha! ‘a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey… stuff’ sums up time travel perfectly! And yes, Lizzie does have a habit of getting separated but it’s more fun this way.

• 29th January 2014 at 11:24 am

“a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey… stuff.” *snork* That’s…awesome.

Okay, so now my curiosity is really roused. Once again, many questions raised.

• 29th January 2014 at 11:44 am

That is indeed an awesome quote which explains time-shifting beautifully! Glad the extract made you curious.

• 29th January 2014 at 2:49 pm

What Emily said. :-) Seriously, I love Lucia’s throaty chuckle. And that Lizzie! Always disappearing.

• 29th January 2014 at 3:35 pm

Lucia’s an enjoyable character to write so I can see her turning up again later in the book too. As might Lizzie! :-)

• 29th January 2014 at 2:52 pm

Tease. :) Now I want to know who Lucia is and why she knows them when they’re older.

• 29th January 2014 at 3:35 pm

Ha ha! Now that would be telling…

• 29th January 2014 at 5:02 pm

Nice! Reminds me of The Time Traveller’s Wife, and how he met her at different ages, but not in a strict progression. Lucia seems incredibly chill about all of this. :)

• 29th January 2014 at 5:22 pm

Lucia is pretty chilled but there’s a reason for that. :-)

• 29th January 2014 at 5:37 pm

Emily had it in one! (Is it sad that I can’t read anything involving time travel without thinking the exact same thing?)

It’s interesting to imagine how we would react to each other if we didn’t meet people in a linear fashion,,, So, is Lucia a Time Lady? 😉

• 31st January 2014 at 8:57 am

Emily’s quote was just perfect!

And as for Lucia being a Time Lady you could call her that but there’s also a lot more to her that is revealed in the book but unfortunately not in any WIPpets…

• 29th January 2014 at 6:44 pm

It must be quite frustrating for Maisie, Lizzie and Danny to be meeting all these people they don’t know yet but who’ve known them for years. Good stuff!

• 31st January 2014 at 8:58 am

Frustrating and confusing! Thanks Elaine.

• 29th January 2014 at 8:15 pm

When is this going to be published?! I’m so looking forward to it. And apart from the near perfect WIPpet maths – this could have been a WIPpet with at least 29 what if questions to ask! Is so good. *sighs* And I’m with Emily – time travel is a happy place.

• 31st January 2014 at 9:00 am

Um… got to finish writing it first, although I hope to publish book one by the end of the year, baby allowing! I’m glad it left you with so many questions. Time travel is a happy place, although a little scary at times. 😉

• 29th January 2014 at 9:34 pm

Intriguing! Lots of great questions raised by that snippet which make you want to know more. And I loved Emily’s quote! I have paste that into my own time travel somewhere. *g*

• 31st January 2014 at 9:01 am

Thanks Ruth! And yes, Emily’s quote is genius!

• 29th January 2014 at 9:48 pm

Some great questions left by this WIP: who is she, how does she know … For such a short snippet, it’s packed with great writing and mystery!

• 31st January 2014 at 9:02 am

Thanks very much Krista, I’m glad it came across like that.

• 30th January 2014 at 4:12 am

Oh, how interesting! Recognizing children from their teenage appearance. Not to mention the whole meeting someone later thing. :-)

• 31st January 2014 at 9:03 am

Thanks ReGi – it’s a bit confusing but good fun at the same time. :-)