I ordered a 2013 writer’s diary from Mslexia yesterday. My husband has bought me the Mslexia diary every Christmas for the last few years but this year I didn’t want to wait another seven weeks until Christmas Day to get my hands on it and start making plans. The diary is invaluable for writers (or anyone creative for that matter). It has loads of blank pages for scribbling down ideas, a section for keeping track of your submissions, plus plenty of informative and inspiring pages detailing writing competitions, literary festivals and book suggestions. As you can probably tell, it’s the best diary I have ever had.

Ordering the diary late yesterday evening got me thinking about what kind of year 2013 will be writing-wise for me. I’m anticipating that it will be a good year. To begin with I’m going to self-publish my novel, The Butterfly Storm, so that in itself will be a very positive start. I had hoped to publish it before the end of 2012 but life and other writing work has got in the way and delayed things. I also want to do it justice and feel there’s no point in rushing it.

So, with The Butterfly Storm published at the beginning of the year I want to then focus on my second novel, Time Shifters, a time travel adventure story for children. It’s already written and edited, I just need to decide what to do with it – whether to send it out to agents or consider self-publishing it too.

As well as all the promoting and marketing that will be involved following the release of The Butterfly Storm, there’s also other writing work to concentrate on – work that’s actually guaranteed to earn me money such as writing articles, blog posts and online content for easyJet holidays and lowcostholidays.com. Ideally by this time next year (if not before) I would love to be working as a writer full time. Only time and a lot of hard work will tell.

What are your plans, writing or otherwise, for 2013?

The Year Ahead

0 thoughts on “The Year Ahead

• 5th November 2012 at 5:08 pm

I’ve often thought about getting the Myslexia diary, Kate, and you’ve inspried me to now.

Good luck with The Butterfly Storm – do you have a cover sorted already? Can’t wait to see it/read it :)

Jo x

• 5th November 2012 at 5:20 pm

It’s a really great diary! Can’t do without it now so I definitely recommend it.

No, the cover isn’t sorted yet, which is one of the main reasons that I’m allowing myself more time to publish it. Plus the run up to Christmas is always extra busy! I’ve just read on your blog that you’ve decided to delay the launch of your next book until next year too. Great minds think alike 😉 x

• 6th November 2012 at 6:58 pm

You have inspired me to be more organised in 2013. This year I’ve had a very post-it-note approach to jotting down ideas and plans. They loose their stickiness quite quickly and I have probably lost many fantastic ideas by just opening a window! A diary sounds like good plan. And good luck with the book – both of them!

• 8th November 2012 at 3:40 pm

Thanks for the good luck wishes – hopefully 2013 will be an exciting year! I’ve got post-it-notes stuck on my desk too but I’d definitely be lost without my diary.

• 8th November 2012 at 8:02 pm

Ooh, I’ve been tempted by one of those diaries but haven’t quite got there yet! (A bit hooked on my Cath Kidston one!)

So glad to hear your plans for 2013, Kate – can’t wait to read “The Butterfly Storm”. And really interested that you’ve written a children’s book about time travel. Do you follow Richard Denning? He’s been self-published for a few years and writes time travel books for young adults and is really good at publicity – does lots of school visits and stuff. His day job is as a GP! He’s on Twitter as @RichardDenning and has got websites and things too. He’s a generous author who would be happy to have a chat/email/tweet with you, I’m sure. Helen Hart was at a conference with him recently talking about self-publishing. (I’ve just sent him a review copy of “Sell Your Books!”)

I’m on a roll now with my books too – 2013 is going to be a busy year for us all, I reckon! Planning to s-p “Forever Young”, a collection of the best of my YoungByName blog posts, and also a collection of radio-inspired short stories called “Tuning In” (or something like that… working titles, so far!) All very exciting! :)

• 10th November 2012 at 5:00 pm

After writing The Butterfly Storm I decided to focus on something completely different – and a time travel adventure for children is completely different to a love story for adults!

It’s really interesting to know that Richard Denning is making a success of self-publishing his young adult time travel books. I assume a printed book may well work better for the 8-12 year-old market (which is the age group my children’s novel is aimed at) but I guess lots of kids will be getting Kindles etc. for Christmas, so I might be able to go down the eBook route too! There are lots of decisions to make.

It definitely looks like 2013 is shaping up to be an exciting year for you too! I’m intrigued by the idea of your collection of radio-inspired short stories. I like the name ‘Tuning In’ even if it is only a working title! Sounds like it should be the perfect book for curling up on the sofa with a mug of steaming hot chocolate.

• 10th November 2012 at 9:52 pm

Just checked out the diary and dropped some not very subtle hints about the perfect christmas present! It sounds like 2013 is already shaping up to be a good one for you. Best of luck with the book launch and new project!

I’m hoping to have a decent first draft of The Fall of the Kings completed and finally moving into the editing, polishing phase. I have no idea how long that might take though.

• 12th November 2012 at 2:57 pm

I hope the (not very subtle) hints work, Raewyn!

Thanks for the good luck wishes. 2013 is going to be a busy and exciting year for you too, finishing, editing, polishing and perhaps even publishing your novel too? Good luck. :-)

• Pingback: Editing Is Writing Too « Dreaming of Other Realms