Just over a week ago on a cold and snowy day I took my first lifewriting class. Nerve wracking, yes, but exciting at the same time with a great bunch of students making up the class. It was good to be back at Bath Spa, my old university where I studied for a MA in Creative Writing a few years ago, and I particularly enjoyed being in that university environment again. Bath Spa is a familiar and inspiring place and, as I said in my last post, being offered a part-time lecturer position there within the undergraduate Creative Writing department is a fantastic opportunity.

Last Tuesday’s lifewriting class got me thinking about sharing my experience and knowledge of writing in a more structured way on this blog. So, I’ve decided to do a regular Writing Workshop post every other Wednesday, starting on the 6th February and taking inspiration from my next lifewriting class where we’ll be discussing interview preparation.

Another feature I’m thinking of doing on a monthly basis is 5 Minutes With… where I’ll showcase writers, actors, illustrators – basically anyone creative that I follow or am interested in. I plan to structure the post as a short interview, where readers of this blog can grab a coffee, put their feet up for 5 minutes and be inspired by all those indie authors, freelance writers, jobbing actors and talented illustrators out there.

What inspires you to write?

New Blog Features

0 thoughts on “New Blog Features

• 30th January 2013 at 8:09 pm

Congratulations – what an amazing opportunity. Life inspires me I think – the strangest little things will spark a story question – or a new scene. For many years it was a solitary pursuit, but as I’ve found writing friends (in real life and online) I’ve been inspired in a whole new way. I like the sound of your new blog focus too – I’m all for grabbing a coffee and following along!

• 30th January 2013 at 8:22 pm

Thanks Raewyn. It is a fantastic thing to be able to bounce ideas off writing friends – whether in person or online – and be inspired by what other people are doing and achieving.

I work better with deadlines, so having a focus to my blog with regular posts will, I hope, be a good thing! Glad you’ll be grabbing a coffee and following along. :-)

• 31st January 2013 at 7:23 pm

I’m glad that leading the lifewriting class went well for you Kate. It’s really good to have something spurring us on as writers to do more, to be more creative. I have to say that since joining Twitter nearly a year ago I’ve found that other indie authors inspire me to work harder and more often on my writing.

I really need to do more with my own blog too. It’s been too long since I updated it. It’s so encouraging to have feedback from other people – I guess that’s a lot of what inspires me as a writer. I hope you continue to have success in your work as a part time lecturer and with all your writing. I look forward to seeing your new and varied updates to your blog!

Elaine. x

• 31st January 2013 at 11:15 pm

Thanks as always for your encouragement, Elaine. Hopefully you’ll be one of the writers I interview for my 5 Minutes With… feature. :-)

Kate x

• 1st February 2013 at 7:50 pm

Yes, would love to be involved! Will look forward to it!x