What do you mean it’s Wednesday already? Eek! That means it’s just one week until I launch The Butterfly Storm. So. much. to. do. But there’s always time for WIPpet Wednesday – that wonderful time of the week when fabulous writers from all over the globe come together to share what they’ve been busy working on. These past few days (maybe that should read weeks) have, one way or another, been pretty crazy so it will be lovely to grab a coffee today and take 15 minutes… 30 minutes out just to sit down and read some fantasy from Raewyn, a slice of The Inheritance from Elaine and more about Grumnlin from Kathi. Perhaps if we’re lucky there will be more bloodsucking from Kate and sugarplum fairy treats from Emily. Hopefully Alana, ReGi, Jessica, Krista and Eden will be joining in too along with a few new faces.

It’s actually hot and sunny in the UK at the moment – shock, horror – so really I should be posting a hot and sultry extract from The Butterfly Storm that’s set in Greece. Well, this extract is set in Greece but it takes place on New Year’s Eve when it’s actually snowing outside (trust me that does happen in northern Greece around Mt Olympus where the novel is set). You see this extract works as a stand alone piece plus it’s conveniently five paragraphs from chapter five for the 5th June. No WIPpet maths needed this week… All I think I need to tell you is that Lena is Alekos’ sister and Callia is her baby daughter. Oh, and just in case you don’t get it (which I’m pretty sure you will) kali xhronia means Happy New Year, or literally, good year! Which I hope it is for all of us.

Lena knocks her glass against mine. ‘To the New Year and more of this wine! I’d better check if Callia needs feeding, plus Mama will be wondering why I’m not serving drinks and being a good host to our guests. Alekos is far better at being sociable than me; he has a natural way with people, but what Mama wants…’ she raises an eyebrow and we both smile.

The band is playing by the time I emerge from the kitchen with a tray of glasses filled with mulled wine. A few guests, led by Despina, have already made a circle on the dance floor. The first time I’d been made to dance at Alekos’ cousin’s wedding, I’d surprised myself at how much I had enjoyed it. I was rubbish though, particularly at the fast dances, where my feet would get muddled and I’d crash into the person next to me.

My tray of wine is soon emptied and I stand at the edge of the dance floor and tap my foot to the music.

‘Sophie!’ Takis calls as he sidesteps past me. He puts his free arm across my shoulders and pulls me into the dance. My feet follow Takis’, stepping forward, forward, back and across, along with everyone else circling in time with the beat of the music. This is what I love about Greece, the spontaneity, the passion and zest for life. Alekos is on the opposite side of the circle sandwiched between Despina and Demetrius. His face is hot from dancing and his shirt buttons are undone halfway down his chest. He catches my eye and winks.

The dancing continues until nearly midnight when the band stops playing, although I barely notice with the amount of shouting, laughter and singing going on. Everyone holds hands. The TV above the bar is on. Alekos holds me, and a stranger’s sweaty hand grips my free one. We drown the Athens crowd out with our countdown: ‘Dheka, enea, okto, epta, eksi, pende, tesera, tria, dhio, ena! Kali xrhonia!’

Post an extract of your WIP that corresponds to the date, add your link to the linky over on host K L Schwengel’s blog and become one of the WIPpeteers – it’s really that easy.

Kali Xrhonia! – WIPpet Wednesday

23 thoughts on “Kali Xrhonia! – WIPpet Wednesday

• 5th June 2013 at 11:10 am

What fun! I’ve never been to a Greek celebration, but every picture I’ve seen, or every one that’s portrayed in a movie, has seemed just like this: Dancing and laughing. A great celebration and a wonderfully drawn scene.

What day does The Butterfly Storm launch?

• 5th June 2013 at 10:11 pm

The weddings I’ve been to in Greece (including our own!) have always been great fun and yes, dancing, laughing and lots of food play a huge part.
      The Butterfly Storm launches next Wednesday 12th – not long!

• 5th June 2013 at 11:18 am

You’ve really managed to captured the generosity of spirit in the group here – I feel like I’m back at Uni when our Greek flatmate used to invite her friends over and throw big parties. Sounds like a good new year for Sophie – and a good way to kick start the Butterfly Storm celebratory launch. I can’t believe it’s only a week away!

• 5th June 2013 at 10:15 pm

It should be a good new year for Sophie but things don’t always work out like that in novels… Yes, just one week until launch day! So exciting. :-)

• 5th June 2013 at 12:11 pm

Fantastic! Sounds like my kind of party (though I do have those exact dancing issues…)

• 5th June 2013 at 12:18 pm

(and I apologize for the lack of blood-sucking. JuNoWriMo is sending me back to Fantasy lend. :) )

• 5th June 2013 at 10:18 pm

Fantasy land is good too!

• 5th June 2013 at 10:17 pm

Greek celebrations are huge fun but I have dance issue problems the same as Sophie. Imagine how mortified I was when I was made to do the ‘bride’s dance’ on our wedding day in Greece…

• 5th June 2013 at 4:06 pm

I love the celebration here and the fact that they all seem to get lost in it. This is great.

• 5th June 2013 at 10:18 pm

Thanks Adrian. :-)

• 5th June 2013 at 10:20 pm

Thanks Elaine. I can’t wait for you to read it either!

• 5th June 2013 at 4:52 pm

“I was rubbish, though.” Ha! I love that moment. I felt exactly the same way at a Mexican wedding before I learned salsa. Sooo much fun, but completely awkward. This is a great scene. :-)

• 5th June 2013 at 10:22 pm

Thanks ReGi. I imagine a Mexican wedding is a huge amount of fun too. I love Greek dancing but I’m pretty awkward at it too!

• 5th June 2013 at 9:19 pm

You feel the joy and abandon here, Kate. It fills the scene, though I’m a “bit” confused about the drinks (I assume Sophie was serving them, but her tray emptied and so she was drawn into the dancing).

• 5th June 2013 at 10:25 pm

Thanks Eden. Yes, Sophie was serving drinks and then ended up dancing when she got rid of them.

• 6th June 2013 at 3:42 am

I want to be at this party! It sounds so much fun! I agree with Kathi, even though I’ve never been to a Greek celebration, this is always the image that you get of them.

• 7th June 2013 at 11:20 am

I’m glad it made you want to join in Emily!

• 7th June 2013 at 3:18 pm

Ohhh, you write in the present tense! That is not a strength of mine at all, so I have respect for those that are able to write in this fashion. I can see the party in my head clearly and feel the emotion and relate to the character’s faux pas in dancing eloquently. *kisses lips to fingers* Marvelous!

• 9th June 2013 at 8:22 pm

Thanks Sarah! I didn’t write my subsequent novel (Time Shifters) in the present tense and I probably won’t write my new WIP that way either but I do find it very natural writing in the present tense. It felt right for The Butterfly Storm.

• 8th June 2013 at 7:20 am

You conjured the atmosphere of a Greek party so well! :)
    Also, I’m doing something different for my WIPpet next week. I’m going to let you vote at this post http://inkandpapyrusblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/07/wippet-choice/ for which previous WIPpet you’d like me to continue. I should have put this at the bottom of this Wednesday’s post but I forgot so sorry for clogging your comments. :) Feel free to edit this bit out :)

• 9th June 2013 at 8:23 pm

Thank you! I will pop over to your blog and vote – nice idea. :-)

• Pingback: Kate Frost – Blog Tour Stop #2 – Alana Terry