Facebook imageI know, I know – in last week’s WIPpet I said the extract I posted would be the last one from Time Shifters but I have nothing else to share this week and so my trusty children’s novel is seeing the light of day again. It’s not yet gone out to beta readers so I guess it can still be classed as a work in progress (just).

This week I give you a neat 11 lines from chapter 11 for the 11th September. All I really need to tell you to set this scene up is it’s 1471 and Maisie and Lizzie have found a room for the night in an inn.

“I wonder what’s happening back home?” Lizzie said. “Do you reckon the police are out looking for us?”

I sat on the bed next to her. “I guess so. We’ve been gone for four days.”

“Maybe there’ll be a facebook page dedicated to us?”

“Are you worried you’re missing out on your fifteen minutes of fame?”

“I don’t want to be famous for being a missing person.”

“But you want to be famous?”

“Don’t you?”

“Not really, no.”

So there you have it, the final installment of Time Shifters until it’s published – unless you’ve kindly offered to beta read it of course.

I will have to miss WIPpet Wednesday next week as I’m going away for a few blissful days in Norfolk with my husband and our dog, Frodo. Five days of fresh sea air, good food and no internet – I can’t wait. However, if you stop by my blog on Saturday then Elaine Jeremiah will be kicking off her blog tour for The Inheritance with a guest post. Plus if you have time tomorrow then Joanne Phillips has got lots lined up on her blog including giveaways to celebrate the launch of her cosy mystery, Murder at the Maples.

Many thanks to K L Schwengel for hosting WIPpet Wednesday. Got a WIP you’d like to share then simply choose an extract that corresponds to the date (WIPpet maths is encouraged) and add the link to your post here.

Famous for Being a Missing Person – WIPpet Wednesday

24 thoughts on “Famous for Being a Missing Person – WIPpet Wednesday

• 11th September 2013 at 2:11 am

I love it. A very realistic dialog exchange with good pacing. And a valid point. There are some things you just don’t want to be famous for. Missing would be one.

• 11th September 2013 at 6:14 pm

Agreed. I certainly wouldn’t want to be famous for missing either. :(

• 12th September 2013 at 2:37 pm

Me neither.

• 12th September 2013 at 2:30 pm

Thanks Kathi. Yes, missing would not be at the top of my list either. Actually being famous full stop sounds like a bit of a nightmare.

• 11th September 2013 at 6:01 am

haha, I think that’s so cute she wants to be famous that bad. :) I think I would have felt the same as a kid

• 12th September 2013 at 2:31 pm

Cute and just a little bit insane… 😉

• 12th September 2013 at 2:31 pm

Thanks Jade – I can’t wait! :-)

• 11th September 2013 at 2:21 pm

I always have too many questions about time travel (my husband is re-watching Smallville right now, and it drives me NUTS). How long you’ve been missing really depends on when you get back, doesn’t it? It’s four days to them, but they might return to the moment when they left. Or two years later. Or…

I may overthink these things. It kept distracting me while I was reading Outlander, too. :)

Definitely not something I’d want to be famous for, anyway!

• 12th September 2013 at 2:34 pm

You’re right Kate, time travel does raise a load of questions and it’s certainly made my head hurt at times working out the plot for this novel.

• 11th September 2013 at 4:32 pm

I like how Maisie has no desire to be famous. For so many kids now that’s their only ambition. I have to say I’d love to be a successful author, but fame? No thanks!

• 12th September 2013 at 2:35 pm

I’m with you on that Elaine – successful author yes please! Famous no thanks.

• 11th September 2013 at 5:03 pm

Enjoy your break!! I’m glad you included more of Time Shifters!

• 12th September 2013 at 2:36 pm

I will do, thanks L. Marie. This really does have to be the last extract from Time Shifters though. I mean it this time!

• 11th September 2013 at 5:29 pm

lol I love it. I’ve had this conversation so many times (not the famous for being missing part, but the being famous part). Great dialogue.

• 12th September 2013 at 2:37 pm

Ah cheers Adrian glad you loved it.

• 13th September 2013 at 9:29 am

Thanks Ruth. :-)

• 12th September 2013 at 5:39 pm

Short, sweet… I can’t tell who I’d be in that situation. Sometimes I really wanted to be famous like Lizzie, others… The possibility alone was terrifying. And even sometimes boring….

I love that I can sympathize with both girls.

And I love the fact that you are talking some “you time” for a get-away with your hubby and “son”. I know you’ll come back refreshed, energized… Happy with the world. (Though we’ll miss you.)

Have lots of fun!

• 13th September 2013 at 9:30 am

Ah thanks Eden, I’ll miss you guys next week too but I’m so looking forward to a bit of a break!

• 13th September 2013 at 6:52 am

I often joke about wanting to be a Minor Internet Celebrity, but that’s about as famous as I’d want to get, and not for being a missing person, no. The reference to the Facebook page made me giggle, for something that’s only been around ten years, it’s certainly gotten into our brains, hasn’t it?

Enjoy your time in Norfolk! That sounds blissful!

• 13th September 2013 at 9:31 am

Facebook has indeed got into our brains and for two 12 year-old girls it would weirdly have always been a part of their lives.

I will most certainly enjoy our time away in Norfolk – I can’t wait!

• 14th September 2013 at 2:04 pm

When I was younger, I thought anyone that said they didn’t want to be famous was lying. As an adult, I understand why and those other kids that said they didn’t want to be famous were wise beyond their years.

• 14th September 2013 at 3:24 pm

They were indeed wise beyond their years. It would be lovely to be a successful author but famous… no thanks!